We are open - safety is our top priority!
A healthy, beautiful smile begins with healthy teeth and healthy gums. According to the Centers for Disease Control, almost one-half of Americans who are over 30 years old have at least the first stage of gum disease, and many others have progressed to a more advanced stage. Gum disease starts as gingivitis and then progresses to periodontal disease. If your gums are swollen, they bleed easily, or they’re inflamed, you have at least the early stages of gum disease. The good news is that gingivitis is both treatable and curable, particularly if it’s caught in the early stages. If left untreated, it can destroy the bone and ligaments in your jaw and result in the loss of your teeth. This is the most common cause of tooth loss in adults and the most preventable. Good periodontal care can prevent tooth loss and help you maintain a beautiful, healthy smile.
The dentists in our periodontics office can help you reverse your gum disease and keep your teeth. They’re experts who have completed a minimum of two additional years of dental training in cosmetic dental techniques, dental implants, and gum disease prevention and management. If you need periodontal services, call a periodontist in Manassas at (571) 535-2365 and schedule an appointment.
Is a Periodontist Different Than a Dentist?
A periodontist is a dental specialist who diagnoses and treats conditions and diseases of the soft gum tissues. The term periodontics is derived from two Greek words, “perio” which means around or close to, and “dontic” which means tooth or teeth. Some of the services our periodontists provide include:
- Periodontal disease treatment: Plaque is a sticky, bacteria-filled substance that adheres to your teeth after you drink or eat. If it’s not removed, then the bacteria can erode the enamel on your teeth and cause decay to start forming. Plaque can also attack your gums by breaking down the ligaments in your teeth and eroding the bone in your jaw. READ MORE
- Dental implant placement: Dental implants are very popular and are widely used in periodontics. They look like your natural teeth and they’re used to replace missing teeth, anchor various dental appliances, and they can help maintain the structure of the jawbone. They also maintain the proper alignment of the teeth so that your mouth doesn’t develop premature wrinkles because of missing teeth. READ MORE
- Crown lengthening: The visible part of your tooth is called the crown and on some people, it can be very short because they have too much gum tissue. Short teeth can preclude the installation of dentures, an artificial crown or braces, so some of the gum tissue may need to be removed if you need any of these procedures. Some patients want this procedure for strictly aesthetic reasons because it can even out the gum line. No matter the reason for needing to have your tooth crowns lengthened, a periodontist in our Manassas office can help you.
- Gummy smile surgery: If you have excessive gum tissue, this procedure can remove the excess and provide you with a beautiful smile and an even gum line that reveals all of your pearly whites. If you’re unhappy with the amount of gum tissue that you have, a periodontist in our Manassas office can contour your gums and even out your gum line so that you have the smile you’ve always wanted.
- Soft tissue graft/ Gum grafting: Gum recession can cause the root of one or more teeth to be exposed, which is a painful condition that can lead to loss of the affected tooth or teeth. If you have receding gums, a gum disease specialist in our office can perform a gum graft in order to save the teeth and eliminate the possibility of future bone loss or decay. It should also alleviate your pain.
- Oral pathology and oral cancer diagnosis: HPV, or human papillomavirus, has replaced smoking as the leading cause of oral cancer in the U.S. If you’re concerned that you have HPV or oral cancer, a gum disease expert in our office in Manassas can take a sample of your mouth and send it to a lab for analysis. Your periodontal dentist will discuss disease management with you and recommend the best treatment regimen for your unique situation.
Whatever your periodontal needs, one of our periodontal specialists can help you. We do our utmost to ensure our patients are comfortable and relaxed during their procedure. We know that dental work can cause you to be anxious, so we have a relaxing office and will provide you with the type of sedative that you and your dentist decide is best for you. Your dentist will discuss your sedation options during your appointment at our office in Manassas, so call us today at (571) 535-2365 to schedule your initial consultation.
Can I Get an Appointment with a Gum Disease Expert in Your Manassas Office?
Your gums are the framework for your smile, they anchor your teeth and enhance your appearance. If your gums are causing you problems, especially if they’re swollen, bleeding, or inflamed, then call us at (571) 535-2365 and schedule an appointment with a gum disease specialist in Manassas. We’ll be happy to answer all your questions and help you regain your oral health and your beautiful smile. Call us today if you need periodontics in Manassas.