We are open - safety is our top priority!
Keeping your teeth clean and healthy is just one aspect of a great-looking smile – it’s also important to maintain your gums. Unfortunately, nearly half of Americans over 30 have symptoms of gum disease, according to a report from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The first stage of periodontal disease, gingivitis, often causes red, swollen gums and bleeding when you brush or floss.
When gum disease is left untreated, the gums may start pulling away from the teeth, causing eventual tooth loss. In fact, advanced gum disease is the top cause of tooth loss in adults. Fortunately, this early stage of gum disease often can be reversed with the help of a trained periodontist in Fredericksburg. Preserve your gum health today by calling Dental One Associates of Fredericksburg at (540) 765-4655 to schedule a consultation.
What is a Gum Disease Expert?
A gum disease expert specializes in diagnosing and treating symptoms that affect the gum tissue. At our practice, we provide comprehensive periodontics in Fredericksburg that can help you restore and maintain your gum health. Some of the treatment options offered by our periodontal office include:
- Treatment for Gum Disease: When oral hygiene is neglected, plaque can build along the gum line and around the teeth, causing gingivitis and cavities. Over time, advanced periodontal disease can damage the jawbone and the ligaments that hold the teeth in place. Gum disease is reversible during its early stages, making it essential to see a periodontist if you’re experiencing symptoms.
- Dental Implants: If you are missing a tooth due to gum disease, a dental implant may help you restore your smile. Dental implants are placed inside the jawbone and act as a durable replacement for the missing tooth root. Once the implant is placed, a natural-looking crown, bridge, or denture is secured on top. Implants can help maintain your facial structure while also preventing future bone loss.
- Crown Lengthening: The portion of the tooth above the gum line is called the “crown.” During a lengthening procedure, the gum disease specialist reduces some of the gum line so that more of the crown appears. This treatment is often recommended when the patient does not have enough tooth length for braces or dentures. Patients can also choose to lengthen crowns for cosmetic reasons, including the removal of excess gum tissue.
- Gummy Smile Correction: Your smile is what makes you unique; however, cosmetic treatment often can enhance your natural beauty. If excess gum tissue has caused your teeth to appear smaller, you may wish to consider treatment for gummy smiles. Our periodontist in Fredericksburg can correct gummy smiles by reshaping and contouring the gum line, creating a more even look. If you’re unhappy with the appearance of your gums, contact our periodontics office to discover your cosmetic options.
- Gum Grafting: When gums recede and expose the tooth’s root, a graft may be necessary. A gum disease specialist can repair the affected area using grafting, which reduces the risk of additional bone loss.
- Oral Pathology and Oral Cancer Assessment: While smoking often is thought to be the most common cause of oral cancer, HPV infection is now the most likely cause. When cancer is suspected, our periodontists will gather tissue samples that will be thoroughly examined in a lab. If cancer is present, we will review your treatment options and possible outcomes.
We’re committed to helping patients get great benefits from periodontics in Fredericksburg. Our skilled periodontal specialists utilize a variety of sedation methods, including nitrous oxide (laughing gas) to help keep patients comfortable. During your appointment, one of our periodontal dentists will outline your options and help you decide which option meets your needs.
Contact Us Today for Periodontal Services
Maintaining excellent gum health enhances the look of your smile while helping to prevent bone loss. If you’re experiencing swelling, bleeding, or other signs of periodontal disease, contact Dental One Associates of Fredericksburg at (540) 765-4655 to book an appointment. Our skilled periodontists look forward to helping you achieve a radiant, healthy smile.