We Are Open – Safety is Our Top Priority!
We’ve reopened in accordance with CDC, O.S.H.A., and State Dental Board guidelines to responsibly resume seeing our patients for regular dental appointments and treatment. We want to assure you of the measures we take to maintain a clean and safe environment so you can continue to receive needed dental care without fear or concern.
Your Go-To Guide for Denture Wear
Losing your teeth is never something you planned on, but it happens. Permanent dentures are one of the most affordable and viable options your dentist can provide for replacing your teeth. However, it can take some time to adjust to life as a denture wearer. In many cases, you have to spend time teaching yourself to eat, speak, and laugh again. However, the tips below can help to ensure that your new experience with dentures is a successful one.
- Eating your favorite foods is a big part of living well with dentures. The good news is that it is possible to eat a wide variety of foods with dentures; however, it takes a little practice. Avoid sticky foods and very crunchy foods at first. Begin with soft foods, like yogurt and eggs. As you adjust, you can introduce more and more foods.
- Speaking while wearing denturescan be challenging. Words with “s” and “f” sounds tend to be the most challenging. You will need to spend time practicing in front of the mirror, watching your mouth movement patterns and practicing words that cause your dentures to flap unnaturally. Be patient and know that some words may take longer than others to say clearly.
- Large mouth gestures, like smiling, laughing, and yawning, can cause dentures to shift and flap. Denture adhesives can help you avoid these incidents, but so can practice and getting comfortable with your dentures.
- Denture adhesives add confidence by preventing movement of the dentures in the mouth. They also offer a seal against food debris, keeping your mouth and gums clean. To properly use denture adhesive, begin with a small amount and add until your dentures are comfortably in place. Remember, a little goes a long way.
- Life with dentures will become more comfortable as the days go by. This is the perfect time to start adding more foods to your plate, trying out new words, and even get back to laughing and smiling as if nothing had changed. Getting comfortable with your dentures is important to your mental and physical health.
Visit an affordable dentist in Virginia if you notice that your adjustment period is taking longer than a few weeks—you may need a denture adjustment.
To get the dental care you deserve from an affordable dentist in Virginia, call Dental One Associates of Virginia today at or make an appointment.
Dental One Associates offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Virginia. With 5 affiliated practices throughout Virginia, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Dental One Associates of Virginia, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Dental One Associates of Virginia.